Post Operative Instructions
- DO NOT brush implant tissue area for 1 week.
- Brush all other teeth and gums.
- After 24 hours, rinse with warm salt water two to three times a day. Use ½ tsp. salt to ½ c. warm water.
- Soft or liquid foods will be easiest to eat for the first few days. Consider nutritional options, pasta, yogurt, soup, etc.
- Avoid alcohol and use of tobacco products for best results. At least try cutting tobacco use in half.
- Avoid taking pain medications on an empty stomach. Try taking two glasses of water with each pill to fill the stomach.
- Follow directions on the pill bottle.
- If possible, stagger the pain medication and antibiotics so they are not taken together. This will minimize nausea and assure good absorption into the body.
- Please continue taking the antibiotics as directed. Even when you feel okay, the body is fighting to bond the implant to the bone.
SWELLING AND BLEEDING:
- Most surgery creates swelling and some bleeding. Although these are normal. After affects, ice packs will help control swelling during the first 24 hours. Use ice packs 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- DO NOT SPIT OUT for the first 24 hours. Spitting causes a vacuum in the mouth and will result in more bleeding.
- If excess bleeding occurs, place a wet or dry teabag (a regular teabag only, not herbal tea or flavored tea) for 20 minutes over the site. DON’T SPIT OUT; use a wash cloth to wipe your mouth out.
REMEMBER: The implant is trying to bond to the bone. Do not push on the implant or put any force on the implant.